It still surprises me that vegetables can actually be used for ‘sweet treats’! Such a good way to use up your excess carrots, oranges and zucchinis too!!
If you don’t have zucchini’s on hand substitute with apple – ditto with the orange juice: you could substitute with lemon juice (or your favourite milk).
Thank you to Sarah Newton – one of our Nurtured Earth team members for this healthy muffin recipe.
- 3 Eggs
- 3 medium size Carrots (250g)
- 2 small-medium size Zucchini (200g)
- 3/4 cup Sultanas
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil (about 60g)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 heaped cup of Walnuts (120g)
- 2.5 cups Whole Spelt Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Rolled oats
- 3/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 50g Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Turn your oven to 170 degrees
- Whisk the eggs
- Mix in the grated carrot, grated zucchini, sultanas, honey and orange juice
- Melt the coconut oil (if solid) and mix in
- Chop the walnuts (or I put them in a bowl and pound them with a jar :))
- Add the walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla, flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Spoon into greased muffin trays
- Stir the ‘ON TOP’ ingredients together (melting Coconut Oil first if needed) and then distribute over the muffins.
- Bake for 30-40mins (depending how big your muffin trays are) – I love my ‘patty pan’ style (they have rounded bottoms) which makes a medium sized muffin – and the trays are sooooo much easier to clean!