Ohhhh, I must say, I do love the winter season for all the lovely ‘comfort meals’ that come out of the kitchen. This simple risotto is definitely one of them!
- 1 cup Pearled Barley
- 3.5C of your favourite Stock (I use 3 Tbsp of our Gourmet Vegie Stock in 3.5C water)
- 2 Leeks, chopped into thin slices
- 2 cloves Garlic, diced
- 4 Tbsp Fresh or 2 Tbsp Dried Herbs – I love thyme, oregano and rosemary – or try the Italian Herb Mix
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 bunch Kale, Silverbeet or Baby Spinach, stalks removed and then sliced finely
- The zest of one large Lemon
- Black Pepper to taste
- 100g Parmesan Cheese grated. VEGAN OPTION: 2Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 40g Pinenuts, gently toasted
- 2 tsp Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
- Into a large (heavy based) saucepan heat the olive oil
- Add sliced leeks and garlic and cook gently for 2 minutes – just until cooked through (not browned)
- Add Barley and stir to coat with oil
- Add Stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring in between
- Add Black Pepper (I like lots!) and Herbs
- Once boiling, reduce to simmer
- Put on the lid and then stir every 10 mins or more often if you don’t have a heavy based saucepan (you don’t want to burn the bottom!).
- Taste test the barley until cooked (you can always add a little more water if you think you need too) – it will take around 40 mins
- Turn off the heat and stir in your Kale, Lemon Zest and Parmesan (and any of the optional extras if you are using)
- Pop the lid back on for a couple of minutes and then you’re good to EAT!