This simple stirfry is a great way to use the last of your vegies! So get creative, and use what you have in your fridge!!
If you don’t have lettuce, this makes a great filling for rice paper wraps – or you could serve on a bed of rice.
First you need to marinate the tofu. If possible, do this at least an hour or two before (but not essential). Turn the tofu through the marinade every now and then.
- 2 Tbsp Tamari
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Honey (optional)
Tip the above into a bowl with
- 1 x block of firm Tofu 375g, diced into small cubes
Repeat the marinade ingredients and combine into a small jar (put the lid on and shake well). Set aside as this is your Asian sauce used after serving.
- 1 Onion, quartered then thinly sliced
- 4cm knob Ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped finely
- 1 Chilli (optional) chopped finely
- 1 cup raw Cashews
- 1 bunch Coriander, chopped finely – stalks and all! (or replace with mint or basil)
- 1 Cos or Iceberg Lettuce – pulled apart into individual leaves
Remember – you can use whatever vegies you have in your fridge!!.. I have used:
- 1 Bok Choy, sliced thinly
- 1 Capsicum, sliced thinly
- 1 cup Broccoli (cut into small florets)
- 1/4 green Cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 sticks Celery, sliced thinly
- 1 Carrot, cut length ways, then sliced into thin segments
- 1 Zucchini cut length ways, then sliced into thin segments
- Into a wok heat up 1 Tbsp of your favourite oil (I have used Macadamia Nut due to it’s high smoke point)
- Add your Tofu NOTE: DO NOT tip in the excess marinade in the bottom of the bowl
- Brown the Tofu, turning it gently (this will take about 10 minutes) – set aside
- Into the same pan add the Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Chilli and Cashews. Stir-fry for two minutes
- With the exception of the Lettuce and Coriander, add in all the other vegies. Pour the remainder of the tofu marinade into your pan and stir-fry for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir through Coriander.
I like to have this as a self serve meal ie. put the bowl of tofu, wok of vegies, and bowl of lettuce leaves on the table – and let everyone make their own. Take a lettuce leaf and a good spoonful of vegies, a spoonful of tofu and a drizzle or two of the Asian sauce over the top. Also tastes great with a sprinkle of shallots and your favourite sprouts!
Wrap it up and devour 🙂 – No knives and forks needed. This is a HANDS ON experience ;))