A big big Thank You to the crew at our favourite cafe, Like Minds (in Avoca) for this beautiful dahl variation.
Sonia and I both had this for breakfast last week (business meeting of course! ;)) – and Mel was kind enough to share the recipe!!
Delicious for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner!!
- 250g Mung Beans (soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 50g Brown Rice
- 1 Brown Onion, finely diced
- 1 Long Green Chilli, finely diced
- 12 Fresh Curry Leaves, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 2 Tbsp of Coconut Oil (or Ghee)
- Cracked Pepper
- In a pot, cook mung beans in 1 litre of filtered water
- Once boiling add the rice and boil for a further 3 minutes
- Add the turmeric and salt and simmer until al dente
- Add more water (or stock) as you go to keep it soupy
While beans and rice are cooking;
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan
- Add the cumin seeds and cook for 20 seconds or until aromatic
- Add the onions (substitute one onion for one leek for a variation if you like)
- Cook onions for a couple minutes
- Add the chilli and curry leaves and cook for a further couple minutes
- Season with cracked pepper
Once the beans and rice are al dente;
- Add the onion mixture and stir in gently
- Finish with fresh herbs on top, coriander and parsley are great!
Eat just as it is or top it with your favourite toppings like; poached eggs, sprouts, sliced kale, yoghurt, flat bread or sourdough toast.
And if you aren’t in the mood for cooking, get yourself down to Like Minds while it’s on the menu! I highly recommend the turmeric latte while you’re there 😉 Mmmmmmm